Prejudice

by February 29, 2016 0 comments

Assalamualaikum, hello there humans~

And yes, for today's topic, it's related to the picture above :)

Okay, before we start, can you do us a favor and read the questions below? Please and thank you :)


So now, how do you feel? Do you know what are the above actions are? They are called....

And prejudice is bad because they form an opinion on people without any basis, but don’t worry, if you’ve experience prejudice, it means that you’re just a human.

Somehow it’s part of human nature to quickly form an assumption or basically judge people even those they don’t know.

Based on our reading, prejudice is having a negative attitude towards certain people. When a person acts on his prejudice, it is discrimination.

So I bet now you can guess what today’s topic going to be~ huhu

Okay, anyway we are going to take turns telling you guys our experience of being a prejudice and the victim of prejudice. Just as an aside, there’s always people out there who fear the act of prejudice and its effect. So, we’re going to state ours as well at the end of our post.

Now let’s start!
……………………………………………

*knock knock*

*door creeks open*

Assalamualaikum guys! Nad’s here! So I’m going to tell you guys my experience first.

I, am just another human being. I do have prejudice towards a certain group but it’s something that I hold only to myself.  Somehow, to tell you my prejudice is like exposing a bad side of me publicly… Definitely a brave move for me to openly disclose it here.


In any parts of the country, there are definitely crazy drivers out there. Those who carelessly drive and make their own traffic rules. Similarly, here, whenever I see a car going bonkers I will quickly assume the person behind the wheel is a Chinese lady (I’m sincerely sorry if I offended you)


But, Why? Honestly, I think it’s because I grew up with the believe. As a child I love to sit inside cars. The moment I hear my parents’ plan to go out or hear the beeping sound of the car unlocking, I will run and persuade my parents to bring me along. Even just going to the grocery store or when my dad wants to park the car in our house compound. How this prejudice is instilled in my mind is because whenever my parents face a tough situation caused by these reckless drivers, they will automatically shout..

“I bet the driver is a Chinese lady!”

Now, now I’m not putting the blame on my parents but I’m sure there’s a reason why such statement is blurt out. It’s because 90% the time they almost got into accident with Chinese lady. Thus, such statement was made. Well, I guess experience is the best teacher.



I have also been in a position where I’m a victim of prejudice. My body type is quite on the small side. It’s hard for me to gain weight even though I eat a lot. This is my nature, how I was born and how God had created me. From secondary school to university life, there are some people who spread rumors saying that I maintain my body because I have an eating disorder. Yes, these types of people still exist, those who assume that naturally skinny people have an eating disorder. However, I think such prejudice towards naturally skinny people or we call it as skinny-shaming have been reducing as many articles have been published to avoid people from misunderstanding us.

...........................................................................................

*Kicks door*

*BAAAAMMMM!!*

My turn!!

Thanks Nad for sharing your story..



Umm, well in my case, I have this negative assumption towards “hijabsters”.


(Sorry if this a sensitive topic for some of you guys)
I know I’m not the perfect Muslim myself, but maybe in my unpopular opinion, i thought that maybe to some of the "hijabster", wearing headscarf may not be an obligation towards Allah anymore but instead it has a become somewhat of a fashion sense.

The reason is because maybe in my opinion, the chest area of a woman are very sensitive and needed to be covered. Moreover, from my observation, some of them even only wore a headscarf  - which only covers their hair/head but not their neck.

Sorry if I offended some of you, but this is just my unpopular opinion as I, myself have flaws of my own.

As to being the victim of prejudice, well long story short, I just have to keep my English communication skills to myself whenever I hang out with my friends outside IIUM. I could sense their glares every time I speak in English. However, i think it's fine because it does not bother me that much. People think what they want to think, so I just let them be.


For both us, we believe our greatest fear of the effects of prejudice is that it could threaten the unity among Malaysians. Malaysians are made up of people of different races and over time we have learned to respect and embrace each other, that makes Malaysians are one big family. Prejudice towards different races could threaten the peace and love we have enjoyed over the years.

So that is all from us, sorry for the long post, but if you made it till here…

Here’s a gift!!


Thank you for reading!.. See you guys in the next post!

Amy & Nad

Developer

Cras justo odio, dapibus ac facilisis in, egestas eget quam. Curabitur blandit tempus porttitor. Vivamus sagittis lacus vel augue laoreet rutrum faucibus dolor auctor.

0 comments:

Post a Comment